Competitive salary and benefits package
The Rugby Football Union (RFU) is looking to appoint a Head of Athletic Performance to lead the sports science and sports medicine programmes for the England senior team leading up to and including Rugby World Cup 2015.
This is a strategic role for which excellent leadership, communication and personal organisation skills are essential. A significant part of the role will be to line manage and coordinate the Athletic Performance Team within the England Senior Team Management and to liaise with fitness and medical staff within the Aviva Premiership to monitor the welfare and development of England players outside of periods of England duty.
Key responsibilities will include:
- To manage all athletic performance services for the England senior team, including but not limited to sports medicine, sports science - analysis, conditioning, psychology and lifestyle support.
- The recruitment, appraisal and CPD for all athletic performance staff in conjunction with the England Head Coach.
- To develop relationships with Aviva Premiership Rugby clubs (and other clubs where England players or potential England players may from time to time be based) to ensure the development of the elite player is optimised to ensure high performance for club and country.
- In conjunction with the Professional Rugby Department, plan a long-term athletic performance programme to ensure the best possible preparation and development programmes are in place for Rugby World Cup 2015 and beyond.
To succeed in this role candidates will ideally have:
- A qualification to master’s degree level (in one of the Human Sciences) and able to demonstrate evidence of completed relevant, original applied research.
- Significant experience providing support services within elite level sport, preferably including time within elite level rugby union.
- Experience of managing diverse technical staff within an elite sport environment.
- A reputation for excellence in the field of sports science and medicine.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills.
This is a contracted position for the period up to and including the Rugby World Cup 2015. It involves working extended hours, evenings and weekends as required, including around 100 days per year away from home.
To apply or to arrange a confidential discussion about this post, please contact Nathan Martin by email at email@example.com. Applicants should submit a CV, with a covering letter, to Hannah Wells, Human Resources Department, Rugby House, 200 Whitton Road, Twickenham, Middlesex, TW2 7BA, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The RFU operates a policy of equal opportunity. To help us monitor this, please complete our monitoring form and attach it with your application. The information you provide will only be used for monitoring purposes.
Closing date for applications is Wednesday, October 10.
Shortlisted candidates will be notified no later than Friday, October 12 and interviews will be held on Wednesday, October 17. The successful candidate would be expected to be available from January 1, 2013 at the very latest.
The Criminal Records Bureau enhanced disclosure process applies to this post.
10 October 2012
10 October 2012