£25,000pa with company car
We now have a full time permanent vacancy for a Rugby Development Officer in Essex. A Rugby Development Officer (RDO) will be responsible for the provision of high quality local development support to a number of RFU member clubs, to strengthen the capacity, membership and performance of these clubs. The RDO will build strong and effective relationships with club volunteers, constituent bodies and develop strong external relationships that you will use to support the growth and development of the club, improving the quality of experience for existing players and members whilst developing and implementing local strategies to grow the game.
The RDO will have a particular focus on supporting clubs to sustain players aged 14-24, and developing regular opportunities for women and girls to play the game. They will assist clubs to grow their operations to enable all variants of the game to be played and to strengthen social membership. The role also includes line management of the Community Rugby Coaches to assist in this work and work collaboratively with other RFU staff, regionally and nationally, to ensure effective and coordinated local delivery of rugby.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of clubs, understanding their strengths and areas for development and ensure this information is transmitted to the CB Planning, Funding & Reporting process, through the creation of club development plans
- Work with each club to establish and maintain a comprehensive picture of the current playing position and develop strategies with the clubs to retain and develop existing players
- Support the clubs to develop and maximise relationships with schools, colleges, universities and other local organisations to actively recruit new players
- Establish relationships with Local Authorities, County Sports Partnerships and School Games Organisers, utilising their expertise and resources to assist clubs in becoming stronger and in growing the game
- Assist the clubs in developing and implementing strategies to retain and reward existing volunteers, coaches and referees, to ensure they have a succession plan in place and to support them in recruiting new volunteers, coaches and referees where required
- Work with the clubs and with specialist RFU technical support to assess and maximise the current facility base in clubs and to develop and implement plans to improve this
- Assist clubs to assess and improve their management and governance, drawing on RFU specialist expertise (e.g. in financial and legal areas) where appropriate
- Actively seek out local opportunities to grow and extend the reach of the game by working with agencies and individuals to develop touch rugby provision
- Provide effective support and performance management to Community Rugby Coaches
To succeed in this role, you must have experience of working in sports development or a relevant field; you will also have strong involvement in sport (preferably rugby) as a player, coach or volunteer. You will be committed and able to work regular weekend and evening hours. You will also be expected to live within the RDO region.
You will be able to communicate effectively and to present a highly professional image when representing the RFU; establish positive working relationships with voluntary and professional staff in clubs, schools, colleges and universities and balance a determined application of the role with a sense of fun and enjoyment. You will also lead, motivate and monitor the work of a team of Community Rugby Coaches.
To apply, please send your covering letter and CV to email@example.com. The RFU operates a policy of equal opportunity. To help us monitor this, please complete our monitoring form and attach it with your application. The form can be downloaded from the Careers and Vacancies section of our website www.rfu.com. The information you provide will only be used for monitoring purposes.
Closing date for applications is February 18, 2013. Interviews will be held on February 25, 2013
The Criminal Records Bureau enhanced disclosure process applies to this post.
18 February 2013
18 February 2013