The post will be funded by the Special Squad. Terms to be discussed
The Special Tag Rugby Squad was established nine years ago at Stockport RUFC to provide the opportunity for youngsters with special needs to be part of a mainstream club, where they can enjoy the company of their peers and participate in sport. We are the only club in the North West running a Special Squad and this coaching opportunity would provide a unique and unforgettable experience.
There are 28 youngsters in the squad, with a regular turnout of 20 per session. The age range is from 13yrs -36 but chronological age is irrelevant as there is a wide variety of ability. Within the squad are several youngsters with Down’s syndrome, autism, Asperger’s, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, etc.
We have the support of amazing parents who sort out all the administration and will provide any support needed for the youngsters in terms of care.
The squad train every Sunday from 10.30-12 throughout school term times. Our wet weather venue is in a nearby sports centre and when dry, we train at Stockport RUFC ground.
Responsibilities of the coach:
- To run training sessions every Sunday throughout school term times
- Sessions need to be tailored to the ability of the youngsters while extending the more able
- Training should include warm-up sessions, passing, catching and tagging skills, relay games and full practice games with simple rules. Other games can be included as warm-down exercises such as boccia, use of parachute, etc
What qualities are essential for the position of coach?
- Reliability, enthusiasm and a willingness to get involved
- The ability to communicate clearly and simplify instructions
- A capability to adapt and accept differences
- Empathy, ability to communicate with parents and carers
- Above all, a sense of fun!
Advantageous but not essential:
- Some experience in coaching
- Ability to communicate with Stockport RUFC to ensure that the Special Squad join in as many club activities as possible
- Availability to travel with the squad a couple of times a year for tournaments, etc
There will always be experienced support workers and parents present to deal with any problems related to the youngsters’ special needs.
The post will be funded by the Special Squad. Terms to be discussed.
For more information, contact Kay Weeks on 0161 427 5595 or email: email@example.com.
30 May 2014
30 May 2014