The University of East Anglia Men’s Rugby Club is seeking to appoint coaches to help coordinate and run training sessions and assist with the development of the squads. Applicants should hold at least an RFU Level 2 coaching award (or rugby union equivalent) and be happy to aim for level 3 or higher.
The coach should help to provide a positive and successful playing environment at BUCS level and opportunities for players to progress into the 1st XV. The appointment will be for a term of one year subject to an annual review. Applicants should demonstrate good communication skills, sound rugby knowledge, approachable personality and above all else, ambition and a hunger for the game. The coach should share the team’s ambition for promotion and help aim for weekly improvements. The coach should always be enthusiastic and prepared to be fully embraced as a vital member of the club. On top of this, regular interaction with the student committee would be a further positive.
The time slots required are Mondays 6-8pm on a soil pitch and Fridays 6-8pm on AstroTurf with the possibility of extra hours on Wednesdays and Saturdays (all subject to change). There is room for a degree of flexibility if requested.
Pay: expenses will be paid to the best applicants.
Interviews will be held at the University.
Reports to: UEA RFC Committee, Union of UEA Students.
Key Relationships: Committee – [President, 1st/2nd XV Captain, and Club Captain], Union of UEA Students Sports Development Co-ordinator, Sportspark Assistant Director of Sport.
Nature and scope of job:
The post-holder will contribute to the planning and delivery of the coaching programme for the season to provide a positive and successful playing environment. Provide high quality coaching to student rugby-based players to enable them to perform at their optimum level whilst enhancing student rugby.
- Help towards and share the club’s ambition of promotion; achieved by contributing to the preparation of the team’s coaching programme to develop the skills and understanding of the players
- Ensure the players receive the highest quality coaching, preparation and feedback
- Work in conjunction with the respective team captains to facilitate the selection of players
- Provide constructive feedback to players to enable them to continue with their development
- Help ensure that the coaching and playing squad present themselves as ambassadors for the University and act within accordance of the club’s Code of Conduct
Knowledge, skills and qualities:
- Hold a minimum RFU/UKCC Level 2 coaching qualification or its recognised equivalent
- Articulates and delivers a clear playing and coaching philosophy that is in accordance with the objectives of the programme
- Work effectively with other members of the management team
- Self-motivated, committed and enthusiastic about coaching rugby union
- Support a playing an environment that balances player development with team performance
- Is able to articulate and deliver sound coaching processes relative to the programme
- Has a sound understanding of the RFU performance pathway for players
Applicants should send a CV and covering letter/supporting statement to:
James Raywood (Union of UEA Students Sports Development Co-ordinator) email@example.com
07 May 2013
07 May 2013