The South West U20 Delivery Team is seeking to appoint a Chairman of Selectors to support the Divisional Chairman and National Chairman of Selectors identify a divisional Squad by ensuring that a uniform player assessment & grading system is in place for inter-CB matches.
The post-holder will ensure the RFU’s objectives for the England Counties U20s programme are achieved by leading the implementation of a consistent player assessment & selection system at Divisional and CB levels in accordance with RFU policies on player assessment & selection.
The post-holder will also be responsible for liaising with Divisional personnel to ensure that all inter-CB matches are observed by duly appointed and recognised selectors who will monitor the assessment & selection process.
Applicants should demonstrate significant experience of coaching & selecting U20 players at CB & Divisional levels and hold a minimum of a RFU/UKCC Level 2 Coaching Qualification or its recognised equivalent.
Your cover letter together with a rugby CV should be sent to Lindsay Piper, The Rugby Football Union, Twickenham Stadium, 200 Whitton Road, Twickenham, Middlesex, TW2 7BA or email@example.com stating your experience, qualifications and suitability for this role.
Closing date for applications is August 27, 2013. Interviews will be held approximately 2-3 weeks from this date.
For further information please contact Nigel Foster by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The RFU operates a policy of equal opportunity. To help us monitor this, if applying by CV, please complete our monitoring form and attach it with your application. The form can be downloaded from the careers section of our website www.rfu.com. The information you provide will only be used for monitoring purposes.
Reports to: Honorary Chairman & Team Manager, Divisional U20s Delivery Team, England Counties U20s Chairman of Selectors.
Key relationships: England Counties U20s Chairman of Selectors Divisional Management Team & Coaches; RFU employees; Divisional & CB U20s Coaches, Selectors & Management, Area Player Development Officer; Divisional Player Development Chairman.
Nature and scope of job:
The post-holder will support the Divisional Chairman & Team Manager and National Chairman of Selectors by ensuring that a uniform player assessment & grading system is in place for inter-county matches leading to the formation of a divisional Squad in line with the policies established by the RFU Player Development Sub-Committee.
- Ensure the RFU’s objectives for the England Counties U20s programme are achieved by leading the implementation of a consistent player assessment & selection system at Divisional and CB levels in accordance with RFU policies on player assessment & selection
- Work in conjunction with the Coaching Team and Team Manager to facilitate the selection of players in an objective manner
- Liaise with Divisional personnel to ensure that all inter-county matches are observed by duly appointed and recognised selectors who will monitor the assessment & selection process
- Attend Divisional matches and training sessions and matches
- Convene and chair Divisional selection meetings
- Support the Chairman/Team Manager in maintaining an up-to-date Divisional player database
- Attend the meetings of the Divisional U20 Delivery Team
- Liaise with Divisional & CB selectors and coaches to identify talented players
- Support the National Chairman of Selectors in producing a final England Counties U20s Squad.
- Deliver local Selector training and review Divisional & CB Selector performance
- Support the management team to ensure that the playing squad present themselves as ambassadors for the Rugby Football Union
Knowledge, skills and qualities:
- Hold a minimum of a RFU / UKCC Level 2 Coaching Qualification or its recognised equivalent
- RFU Accredited Selector
- Has significant experience of coaching & selecting U20 players at CB & Divisional levels
- Has a sound understanding of talent identification and selection systems
- High levels of observation and analysis skills
- Demonstrates a track record of personal development especially linked to player development, talent identification and selection
- Is able to lead & manage people and review performance
- Has a sound understanding of the RFU performance pathway for players
- Is able to work effectively with other members of the U20s Divisional Delivery Teams and Selection Team
The post holder is accountable to the Divisional Chairman/ Team Manager and National Chairman of Selectors for the successful delivery of the responsibilities outlined above. The term of the position is two years subject to annual review.
27 August 2013
27 August 2013