The Rugby Football Union is seeking to appoint a Coach to assist the Head Coach for the England Students team, and programme. Applicants should hold at least a RFU Level 3 coaching award (or rugby union equivalent) and have a good knowledge and experience of working within student rugby. Experience of coaching forwards will be an advantage. Attached is a detailed job description including specific coaching responsibilities.
The Coach will help to provide a positive and successful playing environment at national level and opportunities for players to progress from universities to England. The appointment will be for a term of two years subject to an annual review.
Applicants should demonstrate significant coaching experience, commitment to and engagement with the RFU’s Coaching Development structure and have an affinity with the student game.
Applications should be made by sending a detailed CV, supported by a covering letter in which you identify, in your opinion, the main challenges of coaching a student representative side and how you would seek to meet those challenges along with the other members of the coaching team.
Applications must be sent to Linda Fell, 200 Whitton Road, Twickenham, TW2 7BA, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications is Friday, October 14.
Notification of Interviews will be held sent as soon as possible thereafter.
Interviews will be at Twickenham.
For further information, and an informal discussion please contact:
Steve Hill at: email@example.com
The RFU operates a policy of equal opportunity. To help us monitor this, if applying by CV, please complete our monitoring form and attach it with your application. The information you provide will only be used for monitoring purposes.
Reports to: Honorary Head Coach England Students
Key Relationships: Team Manager and Assistant Manager; Chairman of Selectors; Medical staff; RFU employees; IHE coaches
Nature and scope of job:
The post-holder will contribute to the planning and delivery of the coaching programme for the season to provide a positive and successful playing environment. Provide high quality coaching to student rugby-based players to enable them to perform at their optimum level whilst enhancing student rugby.
- Ensure the RFU’s objectives for the England Students programme are achieved by contributing to the preparation of the team’s coaching programme to develop the skills and understanding of the players
- Ensure the players receive the highest quality coaching, preparation and feedback as directed by the Head Coach
- Work in conjunction with the Team Manager, Head Coach and Chairman of Selectors to facilitate the selection of players from Institutes of Higher Education in an objective manner
- Evaluate all coaching sessions and games with the coaching team and players
- Provide constructive feedback to players to enable them to continue with their development beyond England
- Attend the meetings of the National Delivery Team
- Assist in the identification of highly talented players who have the potential to move into the Elite Player Pathway
- Participate in an annual review of performance and commit to a programme of development provided by the RFU
- Ensure that the coaching and playing squad present themselves as ambassadors for the Rugby Football Union and act within accordance of the Core Values of the sport
- Work with the Management team to ensure successful experiences for all members of the squad, including upholding any Code of Conduct, together with promoting the rugby in hosting countries
Knowledge, skills and qualities
- Hold a minimum of a RFU / UKCC Level 3 Coaching Qualification or its recognised equivalent
- Demonstrates a track record of personal coach development
- Articulates and delivers a clear playing and coaching philosophy that is in accordance with the objectives of the programme
- Is able to work effectively under direction of the Head Coach
- Work effectively with other members of the Management Team
- Self-motivated, committed and enthusiastic about coaching rugby union
- Has significant experience of coaching young adults at IHE or divisional level
- Is strongly biased towards a Player Centred in approach to coaching
- Support a playing an environment that balances player development with team performance
- Is able to articulate and deliver sound coaching processes relative to the programme
- Has a sound understanding of the RFU performance pathway for players
- Have high standards of personal accountability and responsibility for the players
- The post holder is accountable to the England Students Head Coach for the successful delivery of the responsibilities as outlined above
- The post holder will work closely with relevant RFU professional staff, Chairmen of Selectors and coaches of the RFU’s Constituent Bodies
- The post-holder will receive appropriate travel expenses and the position will be held for term of 2 years (renewable) subject to annual review
14 October 2012
14 October 2012