Developing Leaders in Community Rugby
The RFU Leadership Academy, sponsored by Marsh, has been running for four years and aims to raise awareness of the importance of leadership in rugby. The scheme identifies the next generation of club and CB leaders and invests in their skills. The leadership academy aims to helps people develop the rugby expertise and confidence, while facilitating networking opportunities to allow delegates to share experiences and solutions to handle similar issues.
Photo: Getty Images
Each leadership candidate:
- Attends the academy launch to network with other leadership candidates and mentors
- Identifies their current strengths and areas for development
- Creates their personal learning plan
- Completes formal and informal learning and development opportunities
- Reviews their progress and gives feedback on the academy.
The Leadership Academy runs from November to March. The approximate time commitment for each leadership candidate is as follows:
- Academy induction
- Up to three sessions with mentor
- Up to three formal learning sessions
- Up to three challenge and support group sessions
- Informal activity based on the individual.
- Academy review
Photo: RFU Archive
Depending on the needs of the candidates, the Leadership Academy will cover a number of modules, including:
- Leadership: creating an inspiring vision; setting goals and defining roles
- Communication: working with the media; running effective meetings; presentations and speeches; influencing, negotiation & active listening
- Working with others: empowerment & delegation; motivating; giving feedback; resolving conflict; team building
- Decision making: risk analysis; managing change; problem solving
- Planning: project plans; strategic plans; prioritisation techniques
- Organising: time management; finding funding; budgeting and resource allocation
- Monitoring and evaluating: success criteria; measurement techniques
- Personal values: understanding and development of personal attributes
Register For The Leadership Academy
Due to the significant investment in the individuals taking part and interest in the scheme, places are limited, so act now.
Book online: the RFU online course booking system allows you to search by course type, region, postcode or date before booking and paying for your course.