Insurance for Affiliate RFU Clubs
In this section you can find details of the insurance cover provided by the RFU for those participating in rugby union for the following areas:
- Personal Accident Insurance while playing rugby union
- Public/Products Liability Insurance
- Employers Liability Insurance
- Referees and Coaches Liability Insurance
- Directors and Officers Insurance
If you have any queries concerning the above covers provided for your rugby club as an RFU affiliate member, please contact Marsh, the RFU’s official insurance brokers, via the following:
Tel: 01732 877647
Insurance for non-affiliated teams
From this season (2013-14) there has been a change in policy, where previously non-affiliated teams wanting to play in one-off matches, invitational matches, charity games or 7s, 10s and 15s tournaments had to request one-off match insurance from the RFU and pay an admin fee of £35. The process has now changed. All non-affiliated teams are now covered as they are pre-approved by the RFU to be covered by the RFU’s Accidental Death and Permanent Total Disability Insurance provided the match or tournament is played in accordance with the RFU Rules and Regulations and the IRB Laws of the Game.
A summary of the RFU’s Accidental Death and Permanent Total Disability Insurance cover is set out at Summary of Personal Accident Protection for Players (PDF 32kB) and for a copy of the full policy wording, please email email@example.com.
Please note that:
- The above insurance covers accidental death and permanent total disability only as set out in the summary and policy wording
- The policy does not provide any general protection or cover in the case of loss of earnings or minor and temporary injuries such as broken limb, strains etc. It is recommended that additional personal protection should be considered, which is readily available from the insurance market
- If playing abroad, teams are also required to take out additional tour travel insurance (visit our Tours Insurance page for further information)
- Non-affiliated teams are not covered by the RFU’s public liability insurance cover (including liability for injuries caused by an individual to another or to property) or by any other insurance cover provided by the RFU, unless otherwise agreed in writing by the RFU Legal & Governance Department
For further details on how your club can become affiliated to the RFU or information about hosting an RFU approved event at your rugby club, contact your local Rugby Development Officer (RDO).
If you need to check if your club is affiliated to the RFU please download the affiliated club list (xlsx 66kB).
The RFU is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Marsh Ltd. Marsh Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for insurance mediation activities only. © Copyright 2013 Marsh Ltd. All rights reserved.