Schools in the Community
Photo: Capture the Event
The rugby community and clubs provide safe, fun, friendly activity for children and adults beyond the school gates into the local community.
Through Seal of Approval, the RFU ensures that the accredited clubs you send your pupils to are committed to safety, provide a secure and well maintained environment and are supported by quality personnel.
The RFU has a club links toolkit and local staff to help you set up an effective and sustainable link. Providing such links from the primary school stage of the Rugby Journey into rugby clubs ensures your school engages and integrates with the wider community. This creates pathways sustainable beyond curriculum hours and encouragement for your pupils into lifelong involvement in a safe, healthy and fun game.
With an effective link your school can benefit from:
- The opportunity to build on and enhance the existing physical education and sports programme outside the curriculum. Club links strongly support the government’s current localisation agenda
- Enthusiastic pupils developing concentration, drive and commitment leading to perseverance in academic tasks
- A chance to develop the coaching skills of staff in your school
- The school engaging with the wider community and developing pathways sustainable beyond curriculum hours. Organised competition within and/or between schools teams at your school or on club pitches
- Publicity and promotion of rugby union within the school, the club and externally, increasing awareness of the school’s activity
- Sharing facilities or equipment. Harnessing the social aspect of rugby for pupils and staff to interact with the wider community
- Involvement in PE at school leaves a legacy of active and engaged individuals involved in sport for life