Schools in the Community
Photo: RFU Archive
The rugby community and clubs provide safe, fun, friendly activity for young people and adults beyond the school gates into the local community.
Through Seal of Approval, the RFU ensures that the accredited clubs you send your students to are committed to safety, provide a secure and well maintained environment and are supported by quality personnel.
The RFU has a club links toolkit and local staff to help you set up an effective and sustainable link. Providing such links from the school stage of the Rugby Journey into rugby clubs ensures your school engages and integrates with the wider community. This creates pathways sustainable beyond curriculum hours and encouragement for your students into lifelong involvement in a safe, healthy and fun game.
With an effective link your school can benefit in the following ways:
- The opportunity to build on and enhance the existing physical education and sports programme outside the curriculum. Club links strongly support the government’s current localisation agenda
- Gaining more developed pupils, whether it is through playing, coaching or volunteering. Using the opportunity a club link affords for your young people to work alongside coaches and other trained club officers
- Enthusiastic pupils developing leadership skills, drive and commitment linking into a pathway of formal awards
- A chance to improve the rugby union expertise of coaches and teachers, and develop coaching skills in your school
- The school engaging with the wider community and developing pathways sustainable beyond curriculum hours. Supported and organised competition within and/or between schools teams at your pitches or club pitches
- Publicity and promotion of rugby union within the school, the club and externally, increasing awareness of the school activity and programmes available
- Sharing facilities or equipment. Harnessing the social aspect of rugby for pupils and staff to interact with the wider community
- Involvement in PE at school leaves a legacy of active and engaged individuals involved in sport for life