Who are we?
The Students’ Rugby Football Union (SRFU) is the Constituent Body (CB) for over 120 men’s and women’s rugby clubs within universities in England. The SRFU represents all university clubs in its membership with the RFU, including RFU Council and relevant RFU Departments, with geographic CBs and other partners.
Structure of the SRFU (PowerPoint 81kB)
SRFU contacts (PDF 18kB)
What do we do?
- Work with higher education and university clubs to ensure their views and needs are understood and represented
- Work in partnership with the RFU in the delivery of the RFU’s Strategy for the game, including its development priorities and aspirational programmes
- Deliver a complementary programme of development activities and player development
- Sustain and promote partnerships with BUCS, international partners and sponsors.
- Provide support where appropriate to encourage sustainable clubs, effective communication and personal development through rugby union
- Work with geographic CBs, schools and colleges to support transition and retention initiatives
- Provide insurance to all member clubs
How do we work?
Each of the SRFU’s committees include representation from the university sector to ensure that the work of the CB is steered by its member clubs and their priorities for retention, growth and sustainability. The SRFU also recognises the potential the game has for player development, including volunteering, leadership, coaching and refereeing.
- The SRFU, as a registered charity, is overseen by Trustees, who ensure that the game is best represented at all levels.
- The SRFU full committee, with membership drawn from across England, identifies, confirms and offers appropriate support to the strategic and programming priorities that impact on clubs and their members, as well as to those aspiring to play rugby union
- The SRFU subcommittees, also include representatives from across the university sector. Responsibility for the SRFU’s aspirational programme, including England Students, sits with the Performance subcommittee, while the development of the game sits with the Development subcommittee.
SRFU awards and nominations
To celebrate the unique nature of university rugby, the SRFU has five categories of awards (PDF 49kB) for people who support the student game which will be decided annually and an additional award for universities which have made a special contribution.
To nominate someone for an award, please submit the SRFU Nominations Form (MS Word 51kB).
Working alongside the SRFU Trustees are the SRFU Area Representatives who are elected to the position by their peers. It is the intention of the SRFU to have at least two regional representatives in each of the RFU areas, of which there are six. Please click here to see a full list of all regional representatives (PDF 153kB) and the areas that they cover.