This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more by viewing our privacy and cookie policy.


Q: How long will the fund be open for applications?

A: From March 1 – March 31

Q: When will a decision be made on the application?

A: All clubs will be notified of the award decision by Friday, April 26.

Q: Who is eligible to apply?

A: Clubs that are in membership of the RFU either as voting members or non-voting members, as approved by Constituent Bodies, or educational establishments/local authorities who form a local rugby partnership with a club or clubs.

Q: Can a club apply for any of the Off Field grant schemes at the same time?

A: Yes. You will need to complete a separate application form for each however you need only supply one copy of the application criteria

Q: How much can I apply for?

A: Below are the amounts for each grant:

● Goalpost Safety - There is no monetary award but a set of steel goalposts and post protectors will be provided.

● Pitch Maintenance - The maximum grant available is £10,000.

● Social Facilities – The maximum grant available is £7,500.

Q: Can we purchase second hand equipment as part of the pitch maintenance equipment grant?

A: Yes, as long as the equipment is provided with a full one year warranty.

Q: What security of tenure must a club have for each of the grant schemes?

A: ● Goalpost Safety – A minimum of one year tenure on the pitch where the posts will be located is required.

● Pitch Maintenance – A minimum of five years tenure is required on the host site.

● Social Facilities – A minimum of five years tenure is required within the host clubhouse

Q: What matching funding does the club need to provide?

A: ● Goalpost safety – the club must fund the installation costs of the posts.

● Pitch Maintenance – the club must be able to make up any funding shortfall for the package chosen.

● Social Facilities - the club must provide matched funding on a pound for pound basis.

Q: Where do the matching sources of funding need to come from a club?

A: The club needs to provide evidence of the matching sources of funding which can come from its own reserves or fundraising, sponsors, third party grants, donations or in kind contributions.

Q: How do we assess if our current assets exceed our liabilities?

A: Current assets are cash or money that is due to the club (called debtors) and is available for use in the next 12 months. Current liabilities is money that is owed to suppliers, creditors or to repay loans by the club that is due to be paid out within the next 12 months. Net assets = (all) current assets minus (all) Current liabilities – this will either be a positive figure e.g. we have more money available than we owe or negative figure which is we owe more money than we currently have available.

Q: How do you define in-kind contributions?

A: Such contributions take the form of goods and services provided free of charge, where you would normally have to pay for them. We will need to see formal documentation to support your in-kind partner funding for example, an invoice for professional services showing the reduced rates. The value of the contributions in kind should be identified separately and it is important that they are included in both the project costs and partnership funding sections of the application form.

The types of in-kind contributions that are eligible are listed in the table below.

Category Yes, we can count these No, we can't count these
Services / materials in kind

Independently validated voluntary labour, professional fees or donations of materials For example, the provision of professional services, such as:

  • Architects
  • Construction management 
  • Legal

Or materials, such as:

  • Bricks
  • Tiles
  • Sanitary ware
These services may be offered either free of charge or at significantly reduced rates, perhaps by a club member.
Services or materials not independently validated or directly linked to the project
Voluntary effort Must genuinely constitute added value, not something that would be undertaken anyway. Health and safety legislation determines that many elements of construction must be carried out by suitably qualified people to reduce the risk of accidents on site and to ensure that the finished work is carried out in accordance with statutory requirements like building regulations. Work in kind involving specialist trades such as electrics, plumbing and heating must be undertaken by an authorised contractor with appropriate certification and professional indemnity Activities or tasks that would be done anyway such as general maintenance

Q: Will the RFU fund a project that we have already undertaken?

A: No

Q: How long does a club have to deliver the project and draw down the grant?

A: Following the award, the club has to have completed and provided invoices to the RFU for works to the full award value by 26 June 2013.

Q: Can I discuss my application with someone?

A: You can discuss your application with your local RFU Area Facility Manager

Area 1

Area 2

Area 3




Dorset and Wilts












Jon Bendle

Jason Bowers

Rick Bruin

07753 881 272

07703 466 773

07738 029 211


Area 4

Area 5

Area 6

Notts, Lincs and Derby

Eastern Counties


East Midlands





North Midlands





Pete Shaw

Tom Bartram

Alex Bowden

07734 070 674

07841 156 806

07764 336 701


Find your local Rugby club

IBM TryTracker