Photo: RFU Archive
To ensure the highest level of safeguarding in English rugby, and to support its numerous volunteers, the RFU offers two safeguarding courses which can be run at clubs across the country.
Play It Safe
This course is for any volunteer or coach at a club who is working with or has responsibility for children and vulnerable adults within rugby.
By the end of the course participants will be able to –
- Identify best practice and apply this within rugby
- Know where to find support and guidance within the RFU
- Identify signs and indicators of possible abuse and poor practice
- State action to take if there is a concern or disclosure
- Recognise their role in safeguarding and protecting children and vulnerable adults
The course lasts three hours and can be run in the evenings or at weekends at your club. It can be organised by the Constituent Body Safeguarding Manager, Club Safeguarding Officer or the Rugby Development Officer for your CB and costs £15 per delegate which must be paid in full to the RFU before the course takes place. At the conclusion of the course, each delegate will receive a resource along with a Certificate of Attendance.
In Touch can be attended by any club officials, but is specifically targeted at Club Safeguarding Officers.
By the end of the workshop participants will be able to:
- Define and explain the role and responsibility of an RFU Club Safeguarding Officer
- Identify the roles of club members and officers to promote best safeguarding practice
- Identify best practice when recruiting in the club
- Apply the RFU Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults in Rugby Policy and Guidance and Safeguarding Toolkit
- Manage concerns and disclosures
- Provide an opportunity to share best safeguarding practice
The workshop is four hours long and can be run as a single workshop or as a pair of two hour workshop in the evening or at the weekend. The workshop will be organised by the Constituent Body Safeguarding Manager or the Rugby Development Officer for your CB and is free to Club Safeguarding Officers.At the conclusion of the workshop, each delegate will receive a Certificate of Attendance.
Booking on a course
Delegates who wish to book onto a course can do so by using our online course booking system.