This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more by viewing our privacy and cookie policy.

Ross kicks under-19s to victory

29 March 2003

ENGLAND rounded off their preparation for the U19 World Cup in France in two weeks' time with a comfortable nine-point win over the Irish in Musgrave Park on Friday night.

With Ross Broadfoot in superb kicking form, England were never really troubled and the out-half was the Man of the Match, kicking four penalties from four attempts.

The sides were level at three points apiece at the end of an uneventful first half.

Both sides were penalised by Scottish referee Malcolm Changleng on numerous occasions in the opening 20 minutes and this stopped any pattern from developing.

Ireland opened the scoring in the 21st minute when Barry Keeshan kicked a penalty from 30 metres out. The same player had a further chance to increase Ireland's lead in the 27th minute but this time his kick was left and wide.

England winger Topsy Ojo should have scored the games' first try in the 29th minute but he knocked on over the goal line when it looked like he was going to score.

England drew level right on the 35th minute when fly half Ross Broadfoot kicked a superb penalty from a very difficult angle.

The same player had England ahead three minutes after the restart when he kicked his second penalty of the game (3-6). Broadfoot made it 3-9 in the 47th minute when he kicked his third penalty from three attempts.

England dominated the remainder of the half and increased their lead to nine points (3-12) when Broadfoot made it four out of four from the boot in the 67th minute.

Ireland: R McCarron (UCD); M Hewitt (Skerries), B O'Donnell (UL Bohs), G Stafford (Lansdowne), P McKenzie (Loughborough); B Keeshan (UCC), S Auld (QUB); R Sweeney (St Mary's), R Loughney (UL Bohs),R Quinn (UCC);D Smith (Colston's College), M Melbourne (Garryowen);O Hennessy (Dungannon), B McNamee (Northampton), A Kavanagh (Garryowen).

Replacements:C Treson (Blackrock) for S Auld (52);G Maxwell (Dungannon) for R Quinn (52); D Gavin (Blackrock) for R Sweeney (52);  R McCarthy (Terenure) for R McCarron (61); J Andress (Belfast Harlequins) for   R Loughney (64); T Ryan (Highfield) for A Kavanagh (64);

England: O Morgan (Gloucester); J Wellwood (London Wasps), T Rock (Leeds Tykes), S Whatling (Bath), T Ojo (London Irish); R Broadfoot (London Irish), J Bedford (Bath); J Graham (Bath), I Clunis (London Irish), D Wilson (Newcastle Falcons); W Bowley Worcester), T Ryder (Leicester Tigers); W Skinner (Leicester Tigers), T Rees (London Wasps), R Thorpe (London Irish).

Replacements: M Hampson (Leicester Tigers) for D Wilson (half time); A Buist (Newcastle Falcons) for W Bowley (47); M Hopley (Worcester) for R Thorpe (62).

Referee: M Changleng (SRU).


IBM TryTracker