This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more by viewing our privacy and cookie policy.

Andy Vilk of Northampton Saints sends his England 7s Postcard from South Africa

06 December 2005

Sunday 4th December:
Andy Vilk of Northampton Saints keeps informed of the England Sevens team progress now the squad have traveled to South Africa. The Emirates Airline South Africa Sevens begins on Friday.

We left Dubai at half three on Sunday morning which meant Saturday was an incredibly long day. It was actually really welcoming to finally get on the plane and I slept pretty much the whole seven hours down to Jo'burg.  We arrived in Jo'burg about 10am and it was a mad rush to catch our connecting flight to George. Landing in George was amazing as it is such a beautiful place. The hotel is really near to the beach and we can see the mountains from our rooms. 

The drive from the hotel was really picturesque past loads of canyons and lakes.   We went to the pool as soon as we had unpacked to try and shake the long journey out of ourselves and then went for a walk and a stretching session on the beach.  It soon turned into a five a side football match which was fairly competitive!  We went into the sea watched by Phil Greening, our assistant coach, and Mike Snelling, our physio, who were on the look out for sharks as there have been a few attacks recently. 

When we were all safely out of the water it was back to the hotel for some dinner. All the teams stay at the same hotel so you get to check out the competition at meal times!  We had some nice local food for dinner including barbequed ostrich and sweet potato.  The staff are really looking after us and it was good to finally have a good big meal after two days of traveling and airline food. 

We had an early night as we were all tired from the journey and know that tomorrow we will back working hard at training and at the gym, trying to prepare for the tournament on Friday.