This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more by viewing our privacy and cookie policy.

England U19s battle bravely in mud

02 December 2005

2 December 2005
Under-19s 12 Australian Schools 24 

England Under-19s put up an impressive fight against an outstanding Australian Schools team at Gloucester's Kingsholm ground this evening (Friday), going down in appalling conditions.


Incessant rain failed to deter the crowd of 3,057 and but for good Australian defending England could have been closer than the 0-17 interval score.


After six minutes Australia centre Rowan Kellam burst through for a try, converted by scrum-half Nathan Sievert, who added a penalty eight minutes later.


England's right wing Ollie Dodge looked home and dry on 22 minutes but was held up over the line.


A missed Australian penalty was then followed just before the half-time whistle by a phase of determined England play on the visitors' line.


But a spilled England ball saw Australia's right wing Lachlan Turner gallop the length of the pitch to score with Sievert adding the conversion.


England came back firing after the break and following a yellow card for Australia's Andrew Barrett, Dodge dived over after 42 minutes and Daniel Cipriani's conversion trimmed the deficit to ten points.


Eight minutes later Dodge, the son of former England centre Paul, added another taking England to 12-17.


But in appalling conditions with players unrecognisable in the mud Kurtley Beale, Australia's 16-year-old fly-half, crossed close to the posts with full-back Quade Cooper adding the extras.


Nigel Redman, England Under-19 and National Academy coach, said: "We played a lot of rugby in poor conditions and said beforehand that we would run our penalties rather than kicking them because tonight was all about team and player development.


"We wouldn't allow the weather to spoil that because preparation time for the Six Nations is limited and our players responded fantastically well in difficult circumstances.


"It was a very competitive game and Australia capitalised on our mistakes. They have some very athletic players as you would expect from a country like Australia.


"However we won the lion's share of possession and kept the ball well. I am looking forward now to adding the next piece of the jigsaw in January."


England Under-19s: Tom Arscott (Plymouth Albion); Ollie Dodge (Leicester Tigers), Dominic Waldouck (London Wasps and Latymer Upper School), Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers - captain), Jordan Turner-Hall (NEC Harlequins); Daniel Cipriani (London Wasps and Whitgift School), Joe Simpson (London Wasps and St Benedict's School, Ealing); Jack Forster (Gloucester and Hartpury College), Jordan Page (Leeds Tykes), Tom Mercey (Saracens), David Attwood (Bristol and Bristol University), Simon Pitfield (Northampton Saints and Loughborough University), Chevvy Pennycook (Bristol), Andy Saull (Saracens and Bancroft's School), Hugo Ellis (London Wasps and St Benedict's School, Ealing).

Replacements: George Hughes (Bath and Bath University) for Arscott 42 and Waldouck 1-10, Arscott for Waldouck 67, Adam Greendale (Leeds Tykes and Hymers College) for Cipriani 50, Danny Pointon (Gloucester and St Peter's Sixth Form College) for Simpson 50, Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers) for Forster 42, Matthew Deacon (Worcester Warriors and Hartpury College) for Page 50, Charlie Beech (Northampton Saints) for Mercey 23, Ben Thomas (Saracens) for Pitfield 35, Alex Shaw (Leicester Tigers) for Ellis 35.


Referee: Mr Tim Hayes (Wales)




Patricia Mowbray

England Under-19 Press Officer

07710 466658