Gloucester v Newcastle
- After 4 rounds Gloucester and Newcastle both have 2 wins and 2 losses to their names, Gloucester haven't claimed a losing bonus point in either of their losses, whilst Newcastle have 1.
- Last week Gloucester were outplayed at Edgeley Park and lost 23-9. It was 6-6 at half time, but second half tries from Chabal and Doherty won it for Sale.
- Newcastle meanwhile beat a Bristol side 17-3 who are still looking for their first win of the season.
- Gloucester have played Newcastle 22 times altogether, and have won on 14 occasions, with there being a draw on one occasion.
- Gloucester have only ever lost once at Kingsholm to Newcastle, in the first time these two teams met in 1998.
- Gloucester did the double over Newcastle last season, winning by 8 at home and 7 away.
- Gloucester left it late to win in the fixture last year. On the 60 minute mark Newcastle were winning 20-9, but tries from Simpson-Daniel, Bailey and Qera in the last quarter won the game for Gloucester, and the Falcons didn't even claim a losing bonus point.
Trends and Trivia
- Newcastle have managed a try more than Gloucester so far this season with 6. 2 of those tries have come in the last 10 minutes and all but one have been in the second half.
- At home this season the Falcons have scored 58 points, and just 14 points on the road.
- Gloucester have scored 5 tries so far, 3 of which have come in the second half, but they didn't manage one last week against Sale.
- Gloucester have scored the joint most tries from full back this season, but none from their wingers. Newcastle meanwhile have scored the joint most tries from the wings.
- Strangely Gloucester have conceded the joint most tries from fullback, whilst Newcastle have conceded the joint most from the wings.
- Surprisingly Gloucester have also conceded 3 more tries than Newcastle. Gloucester have conceded 5 tries at home and 5 tries away from home, including 3 in the last 10 minutes.
- Olly Barkley started his second match at inside centre for Gloucester last week and so far has been successful with 80% of his kicks.
- Meanwhile Jonny Wilkinson has scored with all 12 of his attempts. Newcastle also have another player yet to miss a kick - Rory Clegg. Clegg is the youngest player to feature in the premiership this year and is the third youngest points scorer ever for Newcastle.
- Gloucester have rotated their squad much more than Newcastle so far this season. Gloucester have just 2 players that have started every game - England duo Luke Narraway and Lesley Vainokolo. Whilst 7 of Newcastle's squad have started each game. This is probably explained by the fact that Gloucester have a bigger squad and are trying to compete in all competitions.