April 30, 2009
England Students have been training at Staines RFC today ahead of their last match of the season against Combined Services U23 at Twickenham on Saturday May 2. The match takes place as a curtain raiser to the Babcock Inter Services Chamiponship match between the Army and the Navy.
England will be looking to finish the season with a 100 per cent record having already beaten Irish Colleges, French Universities and the Holland national team.
The team includes winger Alan Awcock who played at Twickenham earlier in the month for UWIC, when they lost the British Universities final to Hartpury College.
"I'm sure it will help Alan a bit," said England manager Keith Green. "Some of the team played last year too but for many of them this will their first ever game at Twickenham, so it'll be a great day for them and their families."
"We've had a few challenges getting the squad together this week what with exams and University Sevens matches. But this season we set ourselves the goal of creating an environment where success is inevitable and managing resources is part of that."
"It is always a close game against the Combined Services, they are a big physical side but we hope we can match them and end the season on a high."
England Students U23 (v Combined Services U23 at Twickenham, Saturday, May 2, 12pm)
15. Grant Pointer (Loughborough University)
14. David Butler (Bristol University)
13. Drew Locke (Northumbria University)
12. Phillip Ellis (University of Hertfordshire) Captain
11. Alan Awcock (UWIC)
10. Paul Trendell (Loughborough University)
9. Toby Henry (Oxford University)
1. Richard Lutton (Oxford University)
2. Adam Bellamy (Bristol University)
3. James Hall (Liverpool John Moores University)
4. Simon Pitfield (Loughborough University)
5. Rob Wood (Loughborough University)
6. Phil Burgess (Loughborough University)
7. Andy Bridgeman (Bristol University)
8. Ben Maidment (Durham University)
16. Jonathon Moyce (St. Mary's University College)
17. Barney Purbrook (Bristol University)
18. Ian Kench (Oxford University)
19. Tom Malaney (Cambridge University)
20. Will Chudley (Loughborough University)
21. William Nelson (Nottingham University)
22. Gareth Wynne (Manchester University)