- The latest RFU.com podcast is now ready to download
- Elite Rugby Director Rob Andrew gives us his view on England Rugby 2010
Photo: Getty Images
Rob Andrew delivers his overview of the state of England's elite teams in the final RFU.com podcast of 2010.
The RFU's Elite Rugby Director sets the tone for the start of the New Year by looking at the progress made by Team Manager Martin Johnson's senior side and the increasing success of England's other teams in developing players ready to make an impact at the highest level.
Andrew told the RFU.com podcast: "The players are learning that there is no room for any drop in any aspect of your performance.
"Martin talks about this a lot: you have to be an international player every day, not just a couple of days before you play New Zealand, and that's a mindset that's coming back into the England squad."
Over the last 12 months a younger generation of players including Ben Youngs, Courtney Lawes, Chris Ashton and Dan Cole have all made their first starts - within six months of playing at the IRB Junior World Championship for Under 20 teams in the case of Northampton’s Lawes and Leicester’s Youngs.
"That's what we've worked so hard on for the last four years and that's coming to fruition now," added Andrew.
"The Under 18s have lost one game in three years, the Under 20s have been to two World Cup finals – we haven't won it yet but that's the next step, we've got a very good side this year – the Saxons have been very successful over time and you can see those players coming into the seniors. That pathway's very good."
For the full interviews download the December 29, 2010 podcast by right clicking on the link and selecting 'save as'. Or subscribe via iTunes by pasting the following url into the subscribe page http://www.rfu.com/podcast/subscribe/podcast.xml.
Also on this week’s RFU.com podcast:
- Eager Evans – Harrlequins’ Kiwi fly half Nick Evans gives us his verdict on the 74,000 plus crowd which enjoyed his side’s Big Game 3 victory over London Irish at Twickenham Stadium
- Booth-sayer – Resolute London Irish head coach Toby Booth says hard work is the only way out of their eight-game losing-streak
- Henson hiatus – Wales and British & Irish Lions star Gavin Henson on his return to rugby after 21 months out with Saracens in their Wembley match with London Wasps
The RFU.com podcast takes you inside English rugby from the grassroots to the elite.