- The latest RFU.com podcast is now ready to download
- Johnson talks about his summer tour squad and says youth will get its chance
Photo: Getty Images
Martin Johnson has handed England’s youngsters the chance to prove themselves as they prepare to travel Down Under next month.
And with a ticket to next year’s Rugby World Cup to play for, the England Team Manager told today’s RFU.com podcast that everyone will get an opportunity to play.
"We have the core of a very good Test squad," said Johnson. "But with the five match format these guys have got their chance to establish themselves in the group.
"The likes of Joe Simpson and Dom Waldouck (both London Wasps), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Dave Attwood (Gloucester Rugby) and Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers) have all proved their form in the Guinness Premiership.
"They deserve their chance with England. Whether or not they make the squad for the World Cup they can do themselves a world of good on tour, it’ll be great experience for them."
The England squad are holding an open training and autograph session at Twickenham Stadium on Tuesday, May 18, when all fans are welcome to watch Martin Johnson put his players through their paces.
To hear the interview in full and the rest of the RFU.com podcast, right click on the link and select 'save as' to download the May 13, 2010 podcast or subscribe via iTunes by pasting the following url into the subscribe page http://www.rfu.com/podcast/subscribe/podcast.xml.
Also on this week’s podcast:
- Position by position – Martin Johnson explains his tough selections
- Serious fun – Lawrence Dallaglio on why Sevens has become the 20/20 of the rugby world and how the shortened game encapsulates the essence of the sport
- RFU Championship – As Exeter Chiefs prepare to host Bristol in the first leg of the final, ex-Bristol hooker Neil Clark looks forward to squaring up to his former team mates, while Head Coach Rob Baxter says the final can’t come soon enough for his squad
- British & Irish Cup final – Alan Pavor, the Cornish Pirates’ longest serving member, describes the ‘buzz’ that’s gripping Cornwall ahead of the arrival of the Munster men
- Roll up, roll up – Lancashire coach Mark Nelson gives his views on the rolling substitutes trial taking place in this year’s County Championship
The RFU podcast takes you inside English rugby from the grassroots to the elite.