- The latest RFU.com podcast is now ready to download
- Josh Lewsey talks about his return to the game, plus more
Photo: Getty Images
There have been plenty of big rugby stories over the past few weeks but one that’s almost slipped under the radar has been the return from retirement of Josh Lewsey MBE.
The 2003 Rugby World Cup winner has joined back up with former side London Wasps in a bid to help out the Adams Park club until the end of the season.
Speaking about his return, the 34-year-old Bromley born back said: "I’m at Wasps to act as another body for the guys to call upon; an extra man for the bench. We all know that due to injuries the squad is fairly thin on the ground, so I’m just happy to help out where I can. It doesn’t get in the way of my day job, in fact it’s almost like a weekend hobby!
"Some guys play five-a-side football, others go fishing, mine just happens to be playing Aviva Premiership rugby. I picked up a little tweak in training, which can happen at my age, but I’m looking to be fit for the St. George's Day game at Twickenham on Saturday, April 23.
"The reaction to my return has been largely positive, but some have asked me what the hell am I doing, which is fair enough, but the reality is that it isn’t a comeback, I’m just covering the bench, for now."
For the full interviews download the April 14, 2011 podcast by right clicking on the link and selecting 'save as'. Or subscribe via iTunes by pasting the following url into the subscribe page http://www.rfu.com/podcast/subscribe/podcast.xml.
Also on this week's RFU.com podcast:
- Hape and Wilson – Bath Rugby duo Shontayne Hape and David Wilson look ahead to the St. Georges Day clash against London Wasps and reflect on England’s RBS 6 Nations campaign
- Championship play-offs – An update on the winners and losers in this season’s RFU Championship play-offs
- Bristol Grieve – Bristol Rugby captain Iain Grieve talks about his regret that his side didn’t pull out some big performances sooner after their win against Nottingham
The RFU.com podcast takes you inside English Rugby, from the grassroots to the elite.