- Planning permission clears way for Branston Bridge move for Burton
- Historic venue set to become retail park
Staffordshire club Burton are set to leave their historic home at Peel Croft for a purpose-built ground on the outskirts of the town.
Burton already have obtained planning permission to build a new clubhouse and pitches at Branston Bridge.
They now have planning approval for retail units, restaurant and catering outlets on Peel Croft, which has been their home since 1910. Burton also had a two year stint at the ground between 1888 and 1890 when the touring Maoris as well as the Barbarians played there.
Peel Croft also hosted the 1969-70 County Championship final when Staffordshire beat Gloucestershire 11-9 to win the competition for the only time.
Planning permission for Peel Croft was granted by East Staffordshire Borough Council and funding from the retail development will allow Burton to move to Branston Bridge in time for the start of the 2013/14 season.
"This is obviously a massive step for the club. We have worked closely with the Council and the local community to get new premises for many years and now it’s all close to reality," said Colin Grimsdell, Burton’s chairman of development.
"It’s absolutely essential for the future of the club that this goes ahead as soon as possible. It will ensure we have sufficient playing and training capacity into the future. Importantly, it will also help us develop our Community Plan and harness the growing potential that exists within our schools and youth programme. The club is keen to play its part in the community and be seen as a sporting ambassador for Burton."
Burton currently field six senior teams including two colts sides and has an active mini-junior section, covering age ranges from toddlers to Under 17s, which boasts over 400 members who play on Sundays.
At the moment the club has to juggle its fixtures to ensure it meets its commitments on the pitch. The new facilities will have a modern sustainable clubhouse, six full size pitches, four junior pitches and extensive training facilities.
It is envisaged that the new club site will be used by many of the sporting clubs and schools in the Burton area and, importantly, will be available for community use.