- Nottinghamshire club helps promote Poppy Appeal
- Former players gather to see Paviors beat Market Bosworth
Photo Credit: Bob Ratcliffe
Nottinghamshire club Paviors celebrated their 90th anniversary last Saturday with a special day of fundraising for the Royal British Legion’s Poppy Appeal and a whopping 73-45 win over Market Bosworth in Midlands One East.
Paviors took to the pitch wearing a specially designed poppy kit which was pre-sold with half of the profits going to the Poppy Appeal, the club’s partner charity.
The club linked up with the Carlton and District branch of the Royal British Legion for the day of fund-raising and hope to raise more than £300 for the charity from their efforts.
Paviors were joined by former players who served in the joint forces and who were demobilised between 1946 and the 1970s.
The club was founded by a group of ex-pupils from High Pavement Grammar School in Nottingham in 1922 and became affiliated to the RFU in 1929 as High Pavement Rugby Club.
The following year the name changed to Old Paviors RFC and in 1976 it became an 'open club' and dropped the 'old' from the name.
Paviors found their current home at Burntstump Hill in 1974/'75 and at the end of the 1980s a few members asked the committee for £500 to establish mini and junior rugby.
The fact that the majority of the current first team squad are products of that mini and junior section demonstrates the wisdom of that investment.