This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more by viewing our privacy and cookie policy.

England hit back at USA Sevens

09 February 2013

  • Edgerley and Norton strike to see off Australia on Day Two in Vegas
  • France next as England chase more HSBC Sevens World Series points

England salvaged some pride with a 26-21 win over Australia on Day Two of the USA Sevens in Las Vegas.

A 14-0 Pool A defeat against Scotland ended their hopes of reaching the cup quarter finals - a week after they had lifted the title in Wellington.

Dan Norton on the attack in Wellington


Photo: Getty Images

But they produced their best performance of the tournament so far to run in four tries with Dan Norton and Sam Edgerley both touching down twice.

Norton and Edgerley both struck in the first half, Christian Lewis-Pratt's two conversions putting England 14-7 up at the break.

And two more scores in the three minutes after the interval put England out of sight before Tom Cusack and Ben Adams went over late on for the Wallabies.

They now face France in today's Bowl semi final (18:26 GMT)with the winners playing off against Argentina or Spain for the eight series points available.

England went into the second day with a mathematical chance of reaching the last eight if they could beat Scotland by an unlikely 32-point margin.

They didn't get off the mark, however, with Struan Dewar and Scott Riddell touching down for the Scots in the first half.

On Day One England were edged out by Fiji in a thrilling opening game in Nevada.

Norton struck early on but Ben Ryan’s men trailed 21-5 at half time after Samisoni Viriviri touched down twice in quick succession.

England surged back in the second half with Christian Lewis-Pratt and John Brake scoring to make it 21-17 only for Benito Masilevu to kill them off in the final seconds.

England then trailed 14-0 to Portugal – Pedro Battencourt and Miguel Lucas scoring – before Marcus Watson gave them some hope.

Duarte Moreira stretched the lead to 21-5 early in the second half but although England had plenty of time to come back they couldn’t make a breakthrough.