This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more by viewing our privacy and cookie policy.

Dulwich College retain Daily Mail RBS Cup

24 March 2013

  • Back-to-back U18 Cup titles for Dulwich College
  • Hard fought victory over Northampton School for Boys


Dulwich College retained the Daily Mail RBS U18 Cup after a hard-fought victory over a plucky Northampton School for Boys outfit.

Hector McKimm and Baba Ajisebutu bagged tries for Dulwich either side of an Ollie Hartfield effort as the Londoners turned around at the break 17-7 ahead.

And the reigning champions’ experience saw them home in the second half despite a spirited fight from Northampton, with Dulwich never looking in serious danger of relinquishing the trophy.

Dulwich drew first blood on eight minutes through the boot of centre Dom Fraser, who kicked all of his side’s points in their win over Old Swinford Hospital in the 2012 final.

The Alleynians extended their advantage five minutes later when a mammoth driving maul, a notorious weapon in their armoury, allowed second row McKimm to touch down for a try converted by Fraser.

Northampton were quick to haul themselves back into the game and flanker Hartfield pounced upon a loose ball 15 metres out to force his way over, with Conor Bullivant adding the extras.

Fraser re-established Dulwich’s 10-point advantage on the stroke of half time when he improved Ajisebutu’s try in the corner, the winger showing great pace to reach Ed Parsons’ pinpoint kick.

Northampton reduced the deficit shortly after the restart as Bullivant slotted a straightforward penalty.

But McKimm completed his brace five minutes later as he squeezed over from another catch-and-drive, improved by Fraser once again.

Dulwich’s opponents were not prepared to lie down, however, and they held genuine hope for the final quarter-of-an-hour after Hartfield tapped a penalty and darted over for his second try, converted by Bullivant.

Dead-eyed Fraser was on-target with a penalty three minutes later to restore their lead, though, and despite a late yellow card for Parsons, it proved enough to see his team home.