This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more by viewing our privacy and cookie policy.

Eight-try Newent victorious in RFU Junior Vase final

04 May 2013

  • Key to Newent success evident from first minute
  • No answer to scrum power for Yorkshiremen 

Newent 58 Baildon 29

Newent vs Baildon in the RFU Junior Vase Final at Twickenham

Photo: RFU Archive

Baildon's hopes of back-to-back wins in the RFU Junior Vase final ended in disappointment at Twickenham today (Saturday, May 4) as Newent comprehensively overpowered them to claim eight tries and take the trophy back to Gloucestershire.

When Baildon were shunted back at the first scrum in the first minute and Newent fly half Joe Goatley landed his first penalty, it was obvious the Yorkshiremen were in for a torrid examination at the set piece.

So it proved as the Gloucerstershire side plundered the scrums and left Baildon operating on the back foot throughout, their own brief period of parity coming after they had slipped 11-0 behind in as many minutes to a try by scrum half James Dean and a second Goatley penalty.

Baildon’s brief spell of prosperity yielded a try by flanker Tom Craven and a conversion and penalty by full back Jake Duxbury, but when Dean crossed for his second, Newent regained the momentum.

They added a try by centre Tom Webb and a conversion and two penalties from Goatley to lead 29-10 at half-time as Baildon were unable to cure their front-row malaise and the misery continued as tries by wingmn Dominic Matthews and centre Barney Goatley extended Newent’s lead, Joe Goatley converting the former.

Newent vs Baildon in the RFU Junior Vase Final at Twickenham

Photo: RFU Archive

A try by replacement Craig Woodall, converted by Duxbury, punctuated the Newent dominance for a moment, but Joe Goatley broke through for a try and conversion and then No 8 Fred Nottingham crossed to take the score past the 50 mark with his side’s seventh try.

A try and conversion by Duxbury rewarded Baildon’s never-say-die resolve and while another powerful scrum launched the eighth Newent try for outstanding flanker Lee Warren, the Yorkshiremen had the last word when centre Elliott Morgan carved through for the final try of the game.

“We came out, we had a game plan and we knew it was going to be a big occasion and we prepared for it,” said Newent Coach Andy Addis. “They came out, they got the execution right. Fair play to Baildon, they were a good side when they had the ball and we just had to keep the ball away from them and give them a good old fashioned bit of ‘Forest’ scrummaging. Our scrum was tremendous today and our backs just executed good clean ball with it.”

Captain Tristan Veale said: “I’m ecstatic. It was a brilliant result and it shows the hard work we have been putting in over the season. It paid dividends today. We did selves proud and the crowd supported us brilliantly.”

Fly half Joe Goatley added: “I really enjoyed it, it was a massive team performance. I’ve got to thank the boys up front for all their hard work. I just really enjoyed the occasion and all the support, everything, over this last season it has just been incredible.”

“On the credit side, I was pleased with the way we stuck at it, but Newent were a very good side and thoroughly deserved their win,” said Baildon Director of Rugby Andy Whitley. “We knew what to expect and they delivered a classic Forest of Dean display.

“We knew it would be a challenge up front and that’s how it proved from the first scrum.”

Newent: Richard Merrett; Brett Gardner, Barney Goatley, Ross Webb, Dominic Matthews, Joe Goatley, James Dean, Morgan Morris, Greg Tovey, Chris Steward, Tristan Veale capt, Stuart Gayther, Lee Warren, George Phelps, Fred Nottingham. Replacements all used:  Jamie Rice, John Duffin, Luke Williams, Will Mansfield, Dan Bubb-Sacklyn, Charlie Gellert, Ryan Malone.

Baildon: Jake Duxbury, Hayden Lister, Elliott Morgan, Marcus Dracup, Richard Kingham, Nicholas Lister capt, James Dawson, Adam Hewitt, Dale Tabiner, Peter Lowth, Philip Wilson, James Fox, Tom Craven, Jonathan Picken, Alastair Beaumont. Replacements all used: Adam Crooks, Guy Price, Joe Miller, Andrew Pollard, Craig Woodhall, Jarrod Huss, John-James O’Connell.

Referee: Andrew Vertigan