This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more by viewing our privacy and cookie policy.

Selby hold off Drybrook in Senior Vase thriller

04 May 2013

  • Twickenham victory brings double success
  • Drybrook pack power not quite enough

Selby 29 Drybrook 25

Selby vs Drybrook in the RFU Senior Vase Final at Twickenham

Photo: RFU Archive

Selby capped an impressive promotion season when they won the RFU Senior Vase final against a determined Drybrook at Twickenham today (Saturday, May 4).

The Yorkshiremen had to fight to the bitter end against opponents who refused to concede, but they had the game's key individuals who steered them through.

In a tense opening half Drybrook started the brighter of the two sides, pressuring the Selby forwards through a commanding scrum.

Drybrook's early endeavour was rewarded as Nick Ovens scored the opening try with Thomas Treherne converting, before Selby fought back to get their first points of the day from the boot of Josh Cruise after Drybrook were caught offside.

Selby then went on to take the lead with a magnificent score, full back Dan Porter breaking away before combining with winger Ben Lunt who returned the favour to send Porter over after sprinting the length of the field.

Cruise extended Selby's lead to 11-7 with a penalty, but Drybrook kept in touch with a drop goal from Ben Large, making the score 11-10 at half time.

Selby were first to strike in the second half as they forced their way into the Drybrook 22. Cruise, who was instrumental in pulling the strings at fly half, threw a long pass out to Porter, who grabbed his second of the day and his 35th of the season.

Porter once again showed his class as he casually slotted over a drop goal on 52 minutes just inside the 10-metre line to send Selby 19-10 ahead.

Selby vs Drybrook in the RFU Senior Vase Final at Twickenham

Photo: RFU Archive

A Cruise penalty on 60 minutes for Selby put Drybrook 22-10 down with 20 minutes to play, but undeterred they hit back with a close-range try from Neil Paul Morgan.

The comeback was not to be though as Selby centre Alex Webster charged down a Drybrook clearing kick, Cruise converting to settle the game at 29-15.

Drybrook though were not finished and scored two late tries through Craig Clarke and winger Samuel James Peaper making the final score 29-25 to Selby, who celebrated promotion and a cup win in the Twickenham sunshine.

“It was a really great experience,” said captain Duncan Hardy. “Our supporters were very vocal and I think they managed to get us over the line. I had the shakes before the game just thinking about it and I’ve still got them now.

“Drybrook were very good at their style of play, but luckily for us, we had a league game a week ago against a team that also played through the forwards and that stood us in good stead.”

Drybrook coach Frazer McArdell said: “The boys never gave up and gave a gutsy pefomance all the way, but Selby were the better team on the day. We made some silly mistakes in the contact area and our first-up tackling wasn't up to our usual standard.”

Selby: Dan Porter, Ben Lunt, Alex Webster, Sam Weller, Iain Adamson, Josh Cruise, Jack Daniels, Andrew Pocklington, Duncan Hardy capt, Tom Bell, Rob Triffit, Karim Brown, James Blaymire, Jacob Robinson, Matthew Wood. Replacements all used: Mark Tanner, Alex Arthur, Charlie McCoy, Brendan Lanaghan, Martin Protheroe, Josh Greenfield, Tom Coates.

Drybrook: Thomas Treherne; Andrew Bulumakau, Luke Fisher capt, Simon Rugman, Samuel James Peaper; Ben Large, Carl Nicholas Moore; Tom Reed, Mitchell Renton, Nick Ovens, Richard Cottrell, Marcus Lloyd Cowles, Andrew Chesters, Danny Price, Liam Jackson. Replacements all: Joe Tingle, Craig Clarke, Christofer James Rawlings, Neil Paul Morgan, Patrick Lee Ward, Jun Sing Lee, Mitchell Baldwin.