This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more by viewing our privacy and cookie policy.

Women’s Premiership round eight – Bristol breeze past Wasps

18 November 2013

  • Saracens stay top after Aylesford win
  • Richmond keep the pressure on
Wasps make a break


Saracens maintained their two-point lead at the top of the Premiership table after their seventh win of the season on Sunday.

Aylesford were their prey this time around but the Bulls did put up a strong fight, holding Saracens to a 12-0 lead at half-time.

Kelly Wallis and England flanker Hannah Gallagher picked up scores in the first-half, with a conversion from Sarah McKenna, before the floodgates opened after the restart.

Sonia Green was next on the scoreboard before McKenna converted her own try. Hannah Casey and Stacey White then added two more tries to seal the 34-0 victory.

Richmond stay hot on the heels of the league leaders after a convincing 47-8 win over reigning champions Worcester.

Richmond’s forward power enabled them to open the scoring through Elisha Dee on 15 minutes, followed eight minutes later with a try from England’s Becky Essex.

Worcester struggled to manage the masterclass performance from fly-half Abigail Chamberlain, whose assist allowed Richmond to increase their lead through Joanna Watmore.

A well-struck penalty from Megan Goddard put Worcester made the score 3-17 at the break.

The one-way traffic continued into the second half with further tries from Watmore and Dee to bank Richmond the bonus point.

Worcester hit back when a well-executed cross field kick from England’s Ceri Large saw Lisa Campbell gather and score in the corner, but the game was already out of reach for the home side with four further tries for Molly Kinsella, Chamberlain, Laura Kappo and Claire Allan rubbing salt in their wounds.

Bristol’s impressive run this season continued on Sunday when they recorded a 59-5 victory over Wasps at home.

The home side started strongly with full back Katie Mason breaking the line and scoring under the posts after just two minutes before Amy Wilson-Hardy handed Bristol a 14-0 lead moments later.

Wasps hit back through fly-half Hannah Edwards, who scored with relative ease, but they couldn’t add the extras.

In fact, that was where Wasps' charge ended with Bristol well and truly in control. Mason and Wilson-Hardy both ran in for a brace of tries whilst England’s Amber Reed and Claire Molloy added their names to the score sheet.

Lichfield’s miserable season continued with a 36-0 defeat to Darlington Mowden Park Sharks.

At their home ground, the Northern Echo Arena, the Sharks started the stronger, pinning Lichfield back from the first minute. A beautifully placed cross field kick from in-form England fly-half Katy Mclean just evaded Suzy Todd, but a great catch and drive from the line out saw Fiona Davidson cross instead for the first score of the afternoon.

Lichfield responded well to the early pressure and scrum-half Georgina Gulliver got close to scoring, but was well held up by opposite number Davidson. Much of the rest of the first half was a tight encounter, both teams trading attacking blows, but both staying strong in defence.

It was, however, the Sharks who once again broke the deadlock, with some great hands by the backline giving Julie Hope space on the outside.

A high tackle from Vicky Fleetwood on the line prevented the score, but the referee was quick to award a deserved penalty try. The extras added by Mclean saw the Sharks take a 14-0 lead into the break.

After the restart, the Sharks started strongly again with another quick try, this time for Jennifer Edwards before Davidson added her second.

Now with a 26-0 lead under their belts the Sharks looked strong. Whenever Lichfield attacked, the Sharks’ defence always seemed assured, and they were patient in attack, working well through the phases, and this led to another impressive try for Edwards.

The home side continued to show their attacking flair and in the last 10 minutes of the game were rewarded with another great try from Hope to make the final score 36-0.


IBM TryTracker