This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more by viewing our privacy and cookie policy.

NatWest Schools Cup: Round 7 South West review

05 February 2014

  • RGS High Wycombe and Stowe School both through to U18 Cup quarter-finals
  • QEH Bristol go through to U18 Vase quarters in convincing style
RGS High Wycombe v Bicton College in the NatWest Schools Cup

Photo: RFU Archive

Stowe School were the first team in the country through to the quarter-final of the U18 Cup after drawing 6-6 against Truro last Monday in the seventh round of the NatWest Schools Cup.

Two George Silk penalties were enough for Stowe to go through on the away rule. The result came after Truro had battered away at the Stowe line throughout the second half and looked to have done enough with a second penalty, but a loose pass and a poor clearing kick gave Stowe a sniff and Silk landed the crucial penalty just two minutes from time.

Head of rugby at Stowe School, Alan Hughes, said: “At 3-3 at half time we had the wind advantage in the second half but couldn’t exploit it and Truro picked and went around the corner to great effect.”

RGS High Wycombe were the other side to come out of the South West region thanks to a 15-5 win against Bicton College in atrocious conditions.

RGS produced a near perfect display of wet weather rugby in the first half to ensure they came away with the spoils.

A smart kicking game was the catalyst for Louis Pow, Ross Neal and Oli Butler to cross for the important tries.

Josh Caulfield pulled a try back for Bicton, but it was always going to be a tall order, chasing a lead as conditions deteriorated dramatically in the second half.

RGS High Wycombe’s head of rugby, Simon Copeland, commented: "We are obviously delighted with the performance and the win in abysmal conditions. Both sides showed fantastic guts and commitment to see the game out. Bicton are a very good side with a lot of young players, who I'm sure will be a real threat next year and beyond. "

The win sets up a mouth-watering home quarter-final for RGS against the in-form Hampton School.

The two U15 Cup fixtures between Wellington College and Millfield and Canford against RGS High Wycombe have yet to be played.

In the U18 Vase competition, QEH Bristol recorded a resounding 64-17 win against Cirencester College to reach the quarter-final.

Sam Rees topped the try-scoring chart with five, while Sam Roberts was one behind with four. Ed Boxall and Jack Last scored the other tries for QEH, who now face Ravens Wood School in the last eight.

In the other U18 Vase match Exeter College defeated Brockenhurst 24-10. Exeter scored four tries through Joe Burden, Matt Harris, Billy Searle and Jake Smith to set up a quarter-final clash with the winner of Worth School against St. Olave’s.

There was one fixture played in the U15 Vase competition, which saw Reading School beat Dauntsey’s 24-18.