This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more by viewing our privacy and cookie policy.

Warwick sweep to NatWest Schools U15 Cup triumph

29 March 2014

  • Three tries set up Warwick win
  • West Midlands side complete first half of potentially historic double
Action from Warwick School's win over QEGS Wakefield

Photo: Capture the Event

Warwick School completed one half of a potentially historic double as they came through a tough battle to beat QEGS Wakefield 17-0 in the NatWest Schools Under 15 Cup Final at Twickenham today.

The victory saw them retain the title they won 12 months earlier, and provided a boost to their Under 18 side, who also made their Cup final.

With the deafening early noise from the stands providing a fantastic backdrop, Warwick squandered an early opportunity to apply some pressure by overcooking a kick to the corner.

Warwick enjoyed a lot of the territory in the early stages, and found themselves in the opposition 22 on a few occasions but QEGS looked well set in defence.

A break by full back Nick David looked as though it could unlock the deadlock, but David knocked on. Warwick possessed a potent arsenal in their backline, and it seemed that the breakthrough would come in the wider channels.

This was precisely how it turned out, as centre Theo Spencer threw a lovely offload to David who nearly went in. The ball was eventually recycled, and wing Dylan Badhan squeezed over to hand a Warwick a 5-0 half-time lead.

QEGS came out with the bit between their teeth in the second half though, looking to put more width on the ball, and they saw some success with wings Joe Gatus and Chesachi Hani-Okaroafor finding space on the outside. Warwick’s defence had to be at its scrambling best.

Warwick sealed the match eight minutes from time with a try from lock Oliver Richardson, who picked from close range to score against the run of play to make it 10-0).

The match was put beyond any doubt when Warwick centre Spencer scored in the corner on the final play make the score 17-0 at the final whistle.

Warwick captain Nick Rigby said: “It was a pretty unforgettable experience. I thought we started quite slowly but managed to get ourselves into the game with some nice breaks.

“We were under serious pressure with two Warwick teams being in the final, the supporters desperately want both teams to win so it’s a relief to get the win.”

QEGS Wakefield Head Caoch Gary Pickersgill added: “We just couldn’t get points on the board, we had chances to, but just couldn’t. If we’d have turned around at half time at 0-0 then it would have been a big confidence boost.”

QEGS Wakefield’s Director of Rugby Trevor Barker added: “We’re very proud. If you’d have said at the start of the year that this side would make it to Twickenham we wouldn’t have believed you, but they’ve come together brilliantly.”

QEGS Wakefield

15. Harry Clibbens 
14. Joe Gatus
13. Tom Jenkinson
12. Luke Adams
11. Chesachi Hani-Okaroafor
10. Henry Wright
9. Sam Tovey

1. Harvey Farrar
2. Nathan Youngs
3. Callum Farley
4. Edan Kelly
5. Sachin Gogne
6. Max Henson
7. Joey Selim
8. George Charnock

Replacements: 16. Tom Hewson, 17. Sufaan Rafi, 18. Ben Eames, 19. Callum Tames, 20. Tom Stephens, 21.Tom Alderton, 22. Tom Macrow

Warwick School

15. Nick David 
14. Will Tanner
13. Paolo Peschisolido
12. Theo Spencer
11. Dylan Badhan
10. Ben Harding
9.Sam Forster

1. Tristan Brooker
2. Martin Ho
3. Oran Aske-Hayley
4. Oliver Richardson
5. Oliver Thorneywork
6. Jack Firth
7. Will Fawcett
8. Nick Rigby

Replacements: 16. Sam Hill, 17. Zach Shirley, 18. James McSharry, 19. Harvey Innocent, 20. Colia Louis, 21. Joe Graham, 22. Charles Arnault